15 September 2015

Oreight

Above - a mysterious stone on the little village green in the hamlet of Denton. English Heritage suggest that it was once a fountain, sitting as they say it does atop an ancient well. It is also probably meant to mark the boundary of Denton Hall's estate. That was Sunday morning.

Yesterday (Monday), the skies were thick with cloud and from time to time there was a little drizzle. Even so we were out and about. Below you can see a rather misty view of Denton Hall from The Cow and Calf Rocks on the edge of Ilkley Moor. Denton Hall is where Saturday's wedding events happened.
In Skipton there's a statue of one of Yorkshire's finest cricketers. It's Freddie Trueman, fast bowler in full flight and this is his head:-
Sunday afternoon we walked up on to Addingham Moor with Tony and Pauline. Below there's a photo of a cow at the end of a drystone wall. She was keeping guard. In editing this picture I have opted for HDR colouration (High Dynamic Range) which is becoming all the vogue these days.
 Below there;s Shirley in the old stone quarry adjacent to The Cow and Calf Rocks on Ilkley Moor:-
 On Ilkley Moorside there are some grand Victorian houses that look out over Wharfedale and here's one of them:-
Last night we were going to buy fish and chips from the highly rated Old Station Fisheries in Addingham but sadly they now close on Mondays so we ended up driving into Ilkley for burgers and chips at "The Lister Arms" which is a Wetherspoons pub. This is a popular chain of good value pub eateries that have spread throughout the land and have bucked the trend as so many other independent pubs have fallen on hard times and shut their doors for good

One more night in lovely Addingham and then back to Sheffield tomorrow. It wont' happen  but Addingham is the sort of place I could have easily lived out my days - a large village with facilities and a real sense of community in the heart of Yorkshire. When you walk down the street, people you pass still automatically greet you - "Good morning", "Good afternoon", "Oreight!"

Oreight (Yorkshire)"All right?" or to expand it "Hello and I hope you are feeling all right".

21 comments:

  1. The fountain could well be a well cap. It is there to stop folk from the 19th century throwing supermarket trolleys and other garbage into the well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be wrong Adrian but I don't think that there were any supermarket trolleys in the 19th century or indeed any supermarkets.

      Delete
    2. Well fancy that.

      Delete
  2. That's a fantastic statue of Freddy Trueman. The detail is brilliant.

    I love the misty view of Denton Hall...nice photograph. It captures the sense of lush tranquility.

    Yorkie, I wasn't trying to or meaning to be a smart-alec re my comment in your previous post about the stove. I was just interested because I've always been a fan of the Aga stoves (I used to dream of having my own one day...that dream, like many others, will never eventuate). Having spent a number of years cooking for a living in restaurants etc. is also the reason for my interest. As is my wont to often do...I did some research after you'd mention the stove pictured was a Rangemaster. Until I looked it up,I'd not heard of Rangemaster...so I learned something new...and that is good. I like learning new things...and through reading the blogs of others it's a way of learning about things that normally one would probably not stumble across or think about. Mr. Google is my very good friend...he has the answers to my many questions. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee - Sorry if you thought I was implying that you were a smart alec. I wasn't. I am well aware of your culinary passions and history through your blog and I was just being light-hearted in my playful response.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Yorkie... :)

      Delete
  3. Freddie Trueman looks positively fierce and I am intrigued by the example of HDR colouration - I'd like to see a photo before and after it was edited. The sky and clouds are quite striking.

    Ms Soup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just for you Alphie I will make a blogpost that illustrates HDR possibilities along with the original. COMING SOON!

      Delete
  4. I do like the cow photo especially. An amazing sculpture also. Nice to see a photo of Shirley. My mum is also named Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leishy. Is your mum also demure and bashful - tittering shyly behind a fan?

      Delete
    2. No that does not sound like my Shirley at all.

      Delete
  5. The village of Addingham sounds just about perfect (even if the rose is the wrong colour) and when you mentioned that it still had four pubs (in the last post) my thought was that it sounded alive and well and a Good Place to live. Before I moved to Scotland all those decades ago I lived in the village of Lymm in Cheshire. My wife always said that if we'd lived there another 6 months she would have ended her days there. It, too, had a sense of community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many villages are too small or have seen better days but Addingham has a strong heartbeat Graham. A place to raise a family under the white rose flag with liberty and justice for all.

      Delete
  6. I adore that stone...
    I would loveto own it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try nicking it Jonno! You will need a rugby team to help you lift it.

      Delete
  7. I like to dream about living in such a place too YP. Only dreaming because I realise that the grass is always greener and we are comfortable where we are........ But it does seem idyllic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we were younger and the kids were still small... but now it's too late.

      Delete
  8. Great stone wall! Does it actually enclose anything?

    Good to know you had/are still having such a good time in and around Addingham. I've been to a few Wetherspoons pubs, too; I think the Unicorn in Ripon is one now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wetherspoons are very good value Meike and oddly that wall didn't enclose anything!

      Delete
  9. Your country is so incredibly beautiful! I think I would love to live there. Maybe I will get to visit one day.

    And your wife is so pretty! She looks like a kind person. :)

    Oreight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Jennifer. Shirley is like my private carer.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits