27 September 2015

Detours

Yesterday I drove over to Hull to watch my beloved Tigers draw 1-1 with Blackburn Rovers. Before the match I was to have lunch with my old friend Tony in Beverley but I set off early in order to feed my photo-taking  addiction with a detour to the villages of Cherry Burton, Bishop Burton and Beverley Westwood which is an area of ancient common land to the west of the town. Here are three photos from that detour:-
Barn conversion home in Cherry Burton
Bishop Burton village pond
Beverley Westwood
Then on to Tony's  house for delicious sausage sandwiches and talk about his recent rather difficult and costly divorce. We set off for Hull at one thirty and parked in the  rooftop car park at St Stephen's shopping centre before strolling to our temple, our mosque, our Lourdes - the home of The Tigers - The KC Stadium. In the end it was a frustrating match for us. Our lads were not firing on all cylinders and there was a shared feeling round the ground that we had let Blackburn off the hook.

On the way home I took another detour to St Andrew's Quay by the mighty River Humber. I was hoping to get pictures of the evening sky framed above The Humber Bridge which was once the longest suspension bridge in the world. In a way the angle was wrong for the sun was sinking far to the right of the bridge. Even so, here are two pictures:-
Someone was sailing on the river in the evening light. I turned to compose the following picture before heading home to watch England lose narrowly to Wales in the Rugby World Cup on TV of course:-
P.S. Our lovely daughter Frances reached her twenty seventh birthday yesterday. Next weekend she is moving cities - from Birmingham to London and Shirley and I will be hiring a van to help the transition.

24 comments:

  1. Another move for Frances, no doubt a career move for her. But nice she will be near Ian in London. Happy moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, still with the same company Carol but she fancied a period in London so it's a sideways move really.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm... the barn conversion looks interesting but somehow I am not sure whether I like it or not.
    The sailing boat is a great picture, and there is no "right" or "wrong" when it comes to take pictures of sunsets, is there! But I know what you mean; you had something different in mind.
    All the best for Frances' move! Not long ago, I watched a documentary on telly about how it is nearly impossible these days for anyone to afford a decent flat in London, even with a good job. I hope she has found somewhere nice to live and still have enough left of what she earns to eat properly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will be sharing a small two bedroom flat with a friend in south London. Monthly rental before other bills is 1900 euros!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet your apartment doesn't cost that much

      Delete
    2. Nowhere near that, Neil! My 70 m2 (two bedrooms, living room, kitchen and tiny bathroom) within 10 minutes of Ludwigsburg's town centre and even less than that to the train station, yet quiet, costs me 500 € a month in mortgage payment. Bills for gas, water and electricity aren't very high, either.

      Delete
  3. Lovely area around there. Hope Frances' move goes smoothly and that she settles in well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would help if the management company would allow us to park the van with common sense agreement!

      Delete
  4. Love, love, love the picture of the sailboat.
    '];/
    >>>>> (that little goof there is because the puppy walked over my computer)

    I think that picture is a winner and you ought to submit it in some contest somewhere. So peaceful, so quiet and lovely.

    Good luck to Francis. Nice age to be working in and exploring London. Hope she can afford to eat!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will have to send her food parcels or she can rifle through the bins behind local restaurants.

      Delete
  5. The photo of the sailboat and the moon is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the moon and then the boat moving towards it and I waited for that precise moment to press the button. Thanks Jennifer.

      Delete
  6. Keep on getting sidetracked I enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I'll be different because my fav photo is the third one with the trees. I always choose countryside over sea views. Good luck in the big city to Frances( have I ever mentioned that's my second name ?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it the law in Queensland that all girl babies must have the second name - Frances? I bet Carol in Cairns also had the second name - Frances!

      Delete
  8. "We seek him here, we seek him there,
    Those Frenchies seek him everywhere.
    Is he in heaven? — Is he in hell?
    That damned, elusive Pimpernel..."

    I'd just rounded up the posse, too, but I've now told them to return to what they'd previously been doing!

    Frances is my middle name, too!

    Again, a lovely array of photos, Yorkie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jesus! Here's another Frances! You can call me Pimpernel or "pimp" for short Lee!

      Delete
    2. Okay, Pimp. :)

      Delete
    3. Gonna get a sharp suit and sunglasses and an open topped pink Holden. Gonna cruise the lanes of Tamborine Mountain playing hiphop music on my car stereo.

      Delete
    4. Hahahahahaha! You twit! lol

      Delete
  9. I rather like that barn conversion - it looks good and solid. However I did wonder, if that is the rectory barn, then how big was the actual rectory?

    Ms Soup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many country vicars in England had very large houses. I didn't see the actual rectory in Cherry Burton. It was behind and ungodly high wall.

      Delete
  10. My middle name is France's too!!!! Ok I lie it's not , just joining in with my fellow Queenslanders. Mine is Helen and my mother only ever used my middle name when I was in trouble. If I heard the words "Leisha Helen" I knew I was in deep poo. Some more beautiful shots Yorkie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet hubby often has to yell, "Leisha Helen!" these days - especially if you haven't dusted conscientiously!

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits