10 November 2012

Completion

In October, I set myself the task of creating seven poems that took their cues from the so-called "Seven Deadly Sins". When I began I didn't know what would emerge. That's a funny thing about the creative process. Sometimes you have to just go with the flow and there may be no clear logic to what appears.

Thinking about the "sins", it seems to me that they crop up in everyone's lives from time to time. They are part of what it is to be human. I have trouble accepting that there is anything essentially "sinful" about pride, wrath, lust or even sloth. Arguably, the seven sins were highlighted in medieval times as moral sticks to beat down upon already cowed, "God-fearing" church congregations. Stimulating self-searching guilt and shame was helpful to the maintenance of rigid social hierarchy and religious obedience, an obedience that invariably  had economic undertones.

Perhaps the seven "sins" are not the best features of humanity but what is so "deadly" about them? Why should we be ashamed that in our lives many human facets will shine - for example: heroism, love, selflessness, charity, intelligence, dedication, creativity, as well as the "sins", explored in my seven poems. Thank you for reading them and a special thank you to those visitors who left thoughtful or encouraging comments. Here they are again - clickable - for your contemplation and convenience:-

"Envy" "Sloth"  "Greed" "Lust"  "Wrath" "Gluttony" "Pride"
"The Seven Deadly Sins" by Hieronymous Bosch (1450-1526)

7 comments:

  1. Shouldn't you now set about the Seven Heavenly Virtues? I can't wait to hear your thoughts on chastity and humility!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, YP. Imagine trying to live with someone who never displayed any 'sins' at all!
    I'm with SP, btw. Would love to hear you thoughts on chastity and humility - and the rest. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gluttony is the only one I've read, but now that I know it's a series, I'm on my way to read the others. Love your take on those "sins".

    ReplyDelete
  4. All wonderful. And made me think of the seven deadly virtues as outlined in Mordred's song from "Camelot".

    ReplyDelete
  5. SHHOTING PEE & JENNYTA Chastity and Humility? I thought they were two of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's little brats.
    MARY Z Thanks for dropping by and leaving a nice comment. I shall look at the seven deadly virtues you mentioned later today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, since you started this project, I have looked into the history of the seven deadly sins. The Catholics believed that these sins in themselves were not deadly, but rather led to other sins that were. In the bible, the lord discribes six things he considers sinful and the only one that was repeated by the church later is Pride! Oh well, what does he know anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  7. MOUNTAIN THYME I wonder if The Lord would have considered the spending of $2billion on a presidential election sinful? And what about talkiing on cell phones (mobile phones) whilst driving? I didn't spot that in "the good book".

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits