14 August 2023

2013

Dambulla Caves, Sri Lanka

Only some photos tonight. It's ten years - a seventh of my life back in time - that I was last in Thailand. It was 2013 and I had returned to Bangkok for an unexpected second stint of teaching at St Stephen's International School. During the Buddhist equivalent of the school's Easter vacation, I met up with Shirley in Sri Lanka and when my short teaching contract was over, I spent a week in the far south of Thailand before flying home. I remember the first part of  that year with much fondness. Mostly, I felt tranquil and  healthy. All was good.

Sigiriya, Sri Lanka

Temple decoration in Kandy, Sri Lanka

Shirley at Jungle Beach, Unawatuna, Sri Lanka

My feet by the pool in Ko Lanta, Thailand

"Robinson's" - an abandoned beach bar, Ko Lanta

"Same Same But Different" cafe bar, Ko Lanta

14 comments:

  1. I was in Phuket in 2015. A pretty place although a bit on the wild side for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a pity we've not seen much of Sri Lanka. The more I learn, the better I like what I see.
    Our Brother Friends were twins and they were called Same Same in Thailand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some friends from Thailand who feed me on occasion but someday I would like to visit and have unlimited access to Thai food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some things we look back on are very special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank for letting me travel vicariously. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet that abandoned beach bar could tell some stories! Shirley is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures! I like the composition of the 2nd from top very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos YP.
    My father was in Sri Lanka back in the days when it was known as Ceylon. This was in WWII - I doubt he'd recognise any of it now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was feeling all kinds of spiritual until i saw the feet by the pool ... and then I was jealous because it's so hot here today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shirley has that blissed-out beach look that people get.
    How lucky you were to have had the opportunity to live in such a place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh, that's a lovely place! I don't know much about that area at all. Thanks for the little tour, Neil!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like the happiest of times and yes Shirley is definitely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We've had both Sri Lanka and Thailand on our travel lists for a while. But then we got a dog, and traveling has been curtailed. :/

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits