13 August 2023

Suzie

Suzie Quatro    ©The Irish Times

In the early nineteen seventies, Great Britain imported a young Detroit woman called Suzi Quatro. She was destined for stardom in the fickle world of pop music. I would say that absolutely everybody in my generation here in The British Isles knew of Suzie Quatro even though we might not all have appreciated her style of music.

She often appeared on "Top of the Pops" and she was a rock chick, a songwriter, a competent guitarist and a band leader. She became as big in Germany as she was in these islands. Her career embraced acting but rock music was and remains to this day - her first love. It's funny that Suzie Quatro gained far more prestige and merit on this side of the Atlantic that she ever did in America. But take it from me - she was big.

As it happens, it was our Ian's birthday today. Born in 1984, he appeared long after Suzie Quatro's busiest years in the limelight. In fact, until yesterday morning he had never even  heard of her. 

Yesterday he had to travel to Wales's capital city - Cardiff to appear on a Saturday morning magazine programme called "Saturday Live" on BBC Radio 4. It was a great opportunity for him and his "BOSH!" partner Henry to talk about all matters vegan and to promote their latest vegan cookbook which is called simply, "MEAT".

Appearing on the show with them was none other than the legendary Suzie Quatro - now aged 73 and still mainly living in England. Perhaps she was wondering why there weren't some flashes of recognition and a little well-earned reverence for she had survived a tumultuous period in the history of pop music and had come out the other side. 

Fame can blossom like a field of tulips and just as easily it can wither and die. This is perhaps the greatest hit she ever had in Britain...

30 comments:

  1. Much loved music from my youf. It's a pity you didn't know in advance as you could have given Ian and Henry a 'Quatro #101' lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have got me stumped there Mister Andrew.

      Delete
  2. I fear that Ian's lack of knowledge of the great Suzie Q is down to some significant lapse on behalf of his parents. One parent in particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I introduced him to Bob Dylan and that's all that matters.

      Delete
  3. Well, I have heard of Suzi Quatro but I don't remember her music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She doesn't remember yours either Red.

      Delete
  4. Belated Happy Birthday to Ian!
    Funny that he had never heard of Suzie Quatro before. Many of the music I listend to as a kid and in my youth (and still do today, to some extent) was not in the charts or otherwise popular anymore by the time I was born, but it was a case of either my parents (mainly Dad) introducing us to it or we came across it ourselves, long before the internet and youtube came along.
    I know you don't follow murder mysteries series such as Midsomer Murders, but she was in one episode, playing... a rock legend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A flicker of fame: c. 1974, our French teacher "interviewed" in the school's student newspaper volunteers as his favourite musical artist "Suzie Cointreau." And I remember that still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha! Suzie Cointreau! Was he kidding or had he genuinely failed to hear the name properly?

      Delete
    2. Kidding - he had to work something French-ish into it. French was a dying language in Australian high schools at the time. I can't say he did much to fend off its decline.

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday Ian. My kids all knew of Suzie Quatro from her appearances as Pinky Truscadero on the TV series Happy Days with Henry Winkler as The Fonz. I'm happy to hear she is still alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was really young when she was first shipped over to London.

      Delete
  7. Lita Ford is another great axe guitarist like Suzie. She made her career in America and was born in London.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suzi was definitely big in the music scene when I was growing up but I have to admit that I was not keen ... too raucous for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that you had lost much of your hearing during your career as a rock chick.

      Delete
  9. More than a decade older than your son and I have never heard of her or the linked song until today. Funny, but I never considered that the importation of musical talent could go the other way across the pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a lot of Yanks living over here - including the great school librarian Stephen Reed down in West Hampstead, London.

      Delete
  10. I've been trying to forget that ever since. Screaming pose in a tight leather suit with the biggest bass guitar she could find, which keeps playing when she puts her arms in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine you were envious of Ms Quatro's talent when you were really getting into music as a Ghoulish* lad.
      * = Isn't that what they call someone who hails from Goole and its environs?

      Delete
    2. Gooleys, actually.

      Delete
  11. Can't imagine why I never become interested in Ms. Quatro's music.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember "Stumblin In" but not her other songs. I didn't realize she was Pinky Truscadero in "Happy Days" but now I see why I recognized her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say Ellen - I was very pleased that you were able to tell the story of your recent ambulance ride. Some of those stories never get said - for obvious reasons. I am just going to get a beer from my fridge to drink to you.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Neil, I was pleased too! :)

      Delete
  13. The only words I could understand were "Devil Gate Drive" so I Googled them and they still don't make sense. I think I agree with one critic who wrote that "scansion" is more important than meaning in her lyrics. She has an irritating screech of a voice but I must admit she looks quite fetching (British phrase for: hot) in her black leather outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound quite lecherous at the end there Mr Taylor! At 73, she's far too young for you!

      Delete
  14. I remember her mainly for "Stumblin' In," which I think was her biggest US hit. I had no idea she was on "Happy Days."

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits