12 August 2023

Sport

I have had a  hard  day of sport today. Fortunately, I was able to handle it as I have been in training to make sure I was ready for the travails ahead.

After a hearty breakfast of porridge and tea it was time for kick off. England Women were playing Colombia in one of the World Cup quarterfinals down under in Australia. Sitting there on our sofa, I had to be at my best to make sure that our women were fully supported.  I needed to will in goals by Lauren Hemp and Alissia Russo but finally England came out on top by two goals to one. The semi-final match against Australia should be a breeze.

After a session on the physio's table and some chicken flavoured noodles, I was back in position once again this afternoon but this time to watch the men's Rugby League Cup Final from Wembley Stadium in London. Hull Kingston Rovers were playing Leigh Leopards. The last time Hull KR were at Wembley was in 1980 and I was there too to witness the victory over local rivals Hull FC by 10-5 in front of 95,000 supporters.

Today the two teams were all square after eighty minutes (10-10) but the vital golden points were scored by Leigh in extra time from a drop kick. A hard pill to swallow for Rovers but it was a damned good game and fair play to Leigh. They had not won the trophy in fifty years.

Fatigued by the earlier sporting  vicissitudes, I staggered to our PC to see how Hull City were getting on in the derby football match against Sheffield Wednesday. In spite of going behind, we came out on top by four goals to two. We had given them a damned good beating and of course for me such victories are all the sweeter because I have lived in Sheffield for 45 years. In fact, I know there are three or four shy Wednesday supporters who read this blog so I would just like to say to them - Hard luck lads! (Hee-hee-hee!)

Health agencies frequently promote the importance of sport in maintaining good levels of fitness. With the amount of sport I have participated in today (i.e. watched), you can tell that I have heeded this useful advice. One further point I would make is that through watching sport from your sofa you are far less likely to cause yourself serious physical injury.

15 comments:

  1. Hunter Davies, born in 1936, author of the only authorised biography
    of the Beatles, wrote a profile of football agent Lindi Ngwenya for
    The New Statesman 21-27 July 2023.

    *In the past ten years women's football has exploded. I would now rather
    watch the England women's team than Spurs' men,* he wrote.

    This astonished me. Hunter has been a lifelong Spurs' fan ever since
    leaving Carlisle for London's Fleet Street 50 years ago.

    I gave my late brother Brian a copy of Hunter's book on Spurs,
    The Glory Game, for Christmas 1972, I think.
    Brian was a boy at school then, and we christened him Doc Soccer.

    Hunter's new book *The Heath* has been described as a late life
    masterpiece. It is about his love of Hampstead Heath which he still walks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to catch up reading your posts, Neil, as I have been in the hospital this week. I was just telling Mary Moon that Tuesday morning my son called an ambulance for me as I woke with an irregular heart beat and lots of upsetting symptoms (Afib). Came home yesterday and getting better each day. Not a fun week for me! Spent my birthday in the hospital!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If watching sport counts as actual exercise perhaps I should try it. I'll give it some thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're an icon of healthy sporting activity!
    Is physio helping?

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I've admitted here before, I'm not a sports fan, so unlikely to watch. Does that mean I actually have to go out into the open air (gasp) and really, really walk - like one foot in front of the other? Good job I can blame such blatant exercise on the dog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oi! You! I may well be grief stricken over the death of my dear mother but I cannot let it pass that you think beating Australia will be a breeze. The cheek of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done! Your body will thank you with increased fitness and feeling and looking super healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For goodness' sake, don't do your back in again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yesterday I did something I never have done before, I wanted Worldcup Soccer. I was in the process of canning some 50 pints of tomato sauce so had time to kill between batches. I watched the Australians win in penalty kicks and then watched England win over Columbia. I don't have a horse in the race anymore, but I must say Columbian players must train on their acting skills. They were always falling down and thrashing around in agony a few minutes before getting up and resuming play mostly no worse for the wear. The English women just got up and resumed play. That alone made me root for them.

    Not sure when England and Australia plays but if I'm canning again, I may tune in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much emotional energy is expended, you will need a day or two to rest and recover.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes. I can only imagine you're going to need a few days of recovery after all of those strenuous sports. It's important not to overdo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, your eyes got exercise, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish there was football on terrestrial television YP. Any good Vanarama teams near you? Pies and pints and footballer grafters.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You took one for the team, so to speak:) Good man.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits