8 August 2023

Frustration

The month of July just gone was the worst one I have ever known here in the north of England. The weather was very unsettled and though we are told that in the world as a whole it was the hottest July on record, here in Yorkshire that was certainly not the case. Almost every day was miserable and even when sunshine was threatening, rain and drizzle bearing clouds  would come scudding along to sadden our hearts. It has been the second wettest July on record in Sheffield since records began back in 1882.

One of the upshots of this grey pattern was that I couldn't get things done, There was grass to cut and our fifty yard hedges to trim, a vegetable plot to be tended and a sentry box shed to erect. Above all was my desire to address the  second level of our wooden  decking. There was never a dry period allowing me to crack on.

It was impossible to unscrew the old screws from the existing decking. They had been in place for twenty years. I could not get any purchase on them so I started to lever the boards off the undercarriage with a crowbar. I have always been as strong as a rugby-playing ox and have never before suffered any kind of back complaint. "Where there's a will there's a way" has always been one of my mottoes.

However, this time round, as I applied the brute force at an awkward angle I am sure I did something to my back and so I have been taking it easy the past few days. Getting up from a seated position has caused me pain and the same with getting into bed and climbing out.

Don't you just love it when other people moan about their ailments?

I am hoping that what I am suffering from is muscle strain and not something more sinister. I must admit that today the pain has eased off considerably and fingers crossed, I seem to be on the mend. There's a lot more work to be done to the decking but at least I have treated myself to a new, electric reciprocal saw and a new electric screwdriver. I will just have to be rather more careful.

A physiotherapy website I  scanned reassured me that nearly all back pain is short-lived and connected with muscle strains. Taking care but keeping moving seems to be the best way out for most people. Only a small percentage of sufferers have long-lasting chronic back pain which plagues them for years.  That must be awful and it is not a club I wish to join.

29 comments:

  1. I had nearly a year of back pain from quite a simple action with a screwdriver and me not being in a braced position and at a good angle. Older people are easier to injure and take longer to heal.

    Take your thankfully mending back as a warning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this wise advice Andrew.

      Delete
  2. I tore a muscle in my back many years ago. It was the most miserable three weeks of my life. You have my sympathy.
    Hopefully the weather will settle and you'll be able to tick some things off your list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to take it slowly... and carefully too.

      Delete
  3. Back pain is excruciating. As the mother of a former competitive gymnast, I recommend ice (for the initial swelling) then heat (for healing). Gentle activities to keep the back stretched and not stiff. Hope it is soon better! Will you be offended if I say that you (like me) are no longer a spring chicken? I'm relieved that you bought the more powerful tools. Not that you're not powerful of course. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am greatly offended Margaret! How dare you say that I am no longer a spring chicken!

      (Cluck, cluck... only kidding!)

      Delete
  4. I find that I can keep myself away from little muscle pulls in the back by stretching. I stretch every day. I hope you're cured by tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you wear your spandex leotard when you are stretching Red?

      Delete
  5. I have chronic back pain from years of nursing and stress. I tighten my shoulders and all my muscles really, when I'm stressed. Good thing I have a good massage therapist.

    Physio and massage could help as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will correct itself. Far less discomfort today.

      Delete
  6. Re the weather - welcome to the world of "global boiling" as our esteemed UN now describes it!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can it be "global" if you include the British July?

      Delete
  7. Fortunately, I can not confirm July in Ripon to have been so entirely dismal weather-wise. My sister and I had mainly dry weather in Ripon, with the occasional drizzle, but only one completely wet day.
    With back pain, as with most other muscle-induced pain, a mix of rest and gentle movement (exercise) is indeed best. Decades of back pain (caused by scoliosis) have given me plenty of experience with it. Warmth is helpful, too; a hot bath and/or hot water bottle in your back when you are resting is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does sound very much like muscle strain and if you do not take sufficient care that muscle may never be as strong, so don't be too keen too soon about the decking, do a little and rest a lot with gradual increases in the time spent working. Get someone to help with the really hard or heavy stuff. Things you used to do in a day may now take you a week or at least a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The biggest thing to beware of is bend, twist, lift. Do NOT do this, ever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just take care when you start again YP. Even with some fancy new tools to help, you will have to take things easily to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gentle stretching exercises plus paracetamol usually work for me.
    However, I did suffer from a slipped disc many years ago and ended up using a walking stick for several weeks. The pain took a very long time to disappear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not ready for a walking stick yet.

      Delete
  12. One of these days, I have an appointment with my back deck, full of screws that I can't back off or tighten. I may just hire it done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a poor ex-teacher. Could you send me a few dollars to pay for a decking fixer?

      Delete
  13. Hope your back mends quickly. Someone to do your hedges might be a good idea, as also the decking. Think on....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Old, you can't be old, old it always 20 years older than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Too wet to do anything outside there, too hot to do anything outside here.
    In short- none of us are getting anything done outside this summer.
    Sorry you hurt your back. Pain really can be debilitating, can't it? It not only affects our physical selves, it has an effect on our moods and outlook too. I hope you recover soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds like muscle strain, at least from your brief description. Glad you got some better tools! And yes, the weather has indeed been lousy. Take care and rest up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. (1) Impact screwdriver. (2) Tapping screws.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are all getting old Neil xx

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits