30 August 2023

Moon

Shirley and I went up onto the nearby moors this evening to see the so-called "blue moon" rising. It had a thick band of cloud to negotiate first and then it emerged with an orangey glow that reflected the last remnants of a sunset that had just gone.

My camera was not really up to the job but I tried my best to capture some images of the silvery orb that endlessly circles us.

When you think of it, the moon unites this planet. Unless you are blind, no matter where or who you are you can look up and see the moon shining down in dumb silence, its rhythms seemingly eternal. The moon does not favour the rich and powerful, nor does it seek to give preferential treatment to the poor in their desperation. From harvest moons to gibbous moons and from super moons to blue moons, the moon is equal in its munificence.

In my mind's eye, I still see a newspaper cartoon from July 1969 in the days just before Apollo XI  reached the moon. Two emaciated Biafran boys are on a Nigerian beach looking up at the silver sphere and one says to the other, "If they find cheese up there do you think they'll bring some back for us?" Try as I might, I have never been able to relocate that brilliant cartoon in this age of computer detective work.

When we returned to the city, I snapped this picture of the moon between two nearby houses on Ecclesall Road South...

20 comments:

  1. Much has been written about moon both scientifically and in myth. How many songs have been written about the moon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried for a moon photo but as usual, a fail. I like the one taken between the houses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is when expensive quality cameras show their mettle.

      Delete
  3. With the storm passing overhead the moon was all but gone. Pretty sight, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The picture of the moon between the houses is fabulous!
    It was raining here and the sky a firm lid of clouds last night, but when I woke up around 2:30 am, the moon was shining brightly into my living room. It was blinding enough for me not to look directly at it for more than half a second. And tonight, it should be similar; sighting possibly again thwarted by rain in the evening, but maybe clearing up during the night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally, when there is a special astronomical event in this country, I seem to miss it because of clouds.

      Delete
  5. Didn't know you were a Manchester City fan YP. " Blue Moon.."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't know you were a boxing fan Dave, "Red Nose".

      Delete
  6. Do you remember what newspaper it was in? I have access to old British newspapers and can look it up. I would probably start in July of 1969 though and not 1979.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes 1969 not 79 - silly me! I believe it was the national "Daily Mail" but it could have been "The Daily Express". Good hunting Ed!

      Delete
  7. Looking at the top photo the moon doesn't look at all prepossessing does it? Rather ordinary and not worthy to be the subject of so much written about it, or the object of romance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Carol, thou art like the moon
      And precious as a silver spoon
      Thou casteth a spell on all men who see you
      Oh what delight you must feel just to be you

      Delete
  8. I toyed with the idea of going up to Hampstead Heath to see it, but it was quite cloudy here and besides I was too lazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clouds have often prevented me from witnessing special events in the night sky.

      Delete
  9. excellent photos despite your excuses

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a good photo of the moon between the two houses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You old romantic!
    We slept through the whole thing but it was probably too cloudy here anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had a good view of that bright moon! I didn't look "blue" to me, tho, but it was lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits