23 August 2023

8:42

One of the great benefits of retirement is that one's mornings are not ruled by the clock. I can still remember when I felt like a white rat in a laboratory experiment. Every morning the alarm triggered the same reaction. Doze a little bit longer listening to the radio then "Up!". Ablutions. Get Dressed. Race Downstairs. Swift breakfast including scalding tea. Kiss wife. Grab keys and bag then out into the morning where it was always 7.52 when I turned the ignition key.

Nowadays I tend to get eight hours sleep no matter what time I go to bed. I rise in a leisurely manner, don my dressing gown (American: robe) and drift downstairs to make a pint of tea and whichever breakfast I desire - perhaps mini wheats, porridge, toast with a banana or boiled eggs. Then it's on to the computer  to check blogs and what not. I might not take my shower until ten or eleven.

Today it was different. After waking at six, I went back into the nether land that we call sleep and when I next opened my eyes it was 8:42. 8:42! Oh dear! I was up and into overdrive as in the not-so-good old days of work. Ablutions including shower. Dressed. No time for breakfast then out to my pal Clint who was surprised to be stirred so early. I was parked outside Frances's house at bang on 9.00.

I was driving her to the hospital.

When I dropped her off, I told her that I would be in a nearby pub until 10.30 and if her appointment was short she should come over and join me. The pub in question was "The Francis Newton" - part of the nationwide Weatherspoon chain. I ordered a traditional breakfast and tea which I consumed before dipping back into the book I am currently reading - by Raynor Winn.

Frances didn't arrive. She was in the hospital for almost three hours and as you might imagine she had to have more blood tests and meet with the head honcho in the haematology department. 

Fortunately, the platelet count had risen significantly - almost reaching a "normal" score. Immediate panic over but she will be back for another blood test next week. Platelets are clearly an issue for her in pregnancy and she bled a lot when Phoebe was born.

In the meantime, it was all a big relief for Shirley and I so we took that beloved brave daughter to "The Rising Sun" on Abbey Lane for lunch. It was quite busy in there - mostly retirees - but we didn't mind waiting.

Later, Ian sent over the latest scan of the baby that he and Sarah will be meeting for the first time in October. He really looks like a proper baby now. He was smiling at me with his little fist clenched in the manner of  a revolutionary. He will be called Zachary or more often Zach for short and he will be loved and cherished as all babies should be.

47 comments:

  1. We'll keep our fingers crossed for Frances. I can hardly believe her platelets went form ridiculously low to almost normal but I won't argue!
    Zach is a great name for a revolutionary or even for the grandson of a pudding

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are thinking that the first blood test had given a false reading.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad that your daughter's platelets came up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may have been a false reading but the consultant was at first happy to run with the initial result.

      Delete
  3. Did you even get wet?? lol

    Good to hear the platelets are better and hopefully the rest of Frances's pregnancy and delivery will be nice and uneventful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh - you mean in the shower? I saved time by shaving my face while standing in the shower so I got wet enough before leaping out.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad that her platelets have bounced back. Whew, what a huge relief!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that's good news!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your family is having a very exciting time with the new additions, I hope the platelets issue gets sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's one worry eased for you all, and I hope with close monitoring, all will go well for Frances and the little person inside her.
    One of my (Steve's) cousins in Yorkshire has a son named Zachary. He is now 14 years old, as tall as his dad and still growing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that that big Zachary likes his name.

      Delete
  8. Good news for Frances. Hope the count continues to rise.
    Great name for a grandson.....we also have a Zachary, he is 5.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We use an alarm Monday to Friday, much later than it was set for working years, it gives us a nod to the fact it is a midweek morning. Just like you once we decide to get up it's a very slow start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't quite understand why you set an alarm clock at all. Stop It!

      Delete
  10. I'm glad Frances's platelet count is up. It seems like an odd quirk of evolution that women would see diminished platelets at a time when they are almost certain to have some bleeding. Perhaps it helps circulation or avoids unwanted clotting or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right but best within normal parameters.

      Delete
  11. That is good news for all of you, especially Frances and the baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cloud of worry lifted Thelma... though it could come back.

      Delete
  12. I sincerely hope Frances and the baby make it safely to and through the birth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always good to hear things are going well again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to dream about leisurely mornings where I could sleep in. But I have found on my arrival it generally means going to bed earlier and waking up hours before I need to these days, mostly in the dark, with more than enough time to do everything I need before everyone else wakes up. My body somehow missed the sleeping in memo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had to learn how to roll over and go back to sleep. I find that talk radio played at a medium volume helps a lot.

      Delete
  15. I forgot to set my alarm about 14.5 years ago, and found that life was just fine. I only use an alarm, if I have an early meeting or flight. Life is so much better. Glad to hear she is doing better, watchful waiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must retire to bed at a sensible hour Mr Penguin... unlike me.

      Delete
  16. I read 'The Salt Path' by Raynor Winn and enjoyed it so much I recommended it to my Son who also read it. I started the sequal but just couldn't get into it. Hope all is well with you and your family, I am not posting at the moment as you have probably seen but hope to start again when the gloom I am feeling at the moment subsides. Briony. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving this comment Briony. I am pleased to hear that you hope to get back to blogging soon. Like a number of other bloggers I have been missing you.

      Delete
  17. I expect you are feeling a little less fraught over Frances now?
    Have a lie-in tomorrow, YP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The anxiety hasn't gone but it is much reduced JayCee.

      Delete
  18. So glad to hear about the rise of the platelets! Could be a movie title, couldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I'm glad that Frances' blood count is back to normal what a relief for all of you! It will be so exciting to welcome 2 grandchildren pretty soon, Neil. How fast time flies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are getting closer Ellen. My son's baby Zach will owe his existence to IVF treatment.

      Delete
  20. I am sending positive thoughts to Francis. Pregnancy definitely has some alarming moments...(my experience anyway.) Like you said though, she will be well looked after by an eager medical team when the time comes. How stressful childbirth must have been for so many mothers once upon a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Melinda, mothers-to-be are lucky to be living in 2023 - at least in the western world.

      Delete
  21. Thank goodness the blood count is improving. That is great news. I never was the type of mother-to-be or mother-for-real that was calm and collected as Frances seems to be. Good for her and good for the babe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is chilled out most of the time and usually takes life in her stride,

      Delete
  22. It's always a worry when pregnancy has these concerns, and it's not silly in any way; it shows that Frances and this little one she is carrying are very much loved and cared for, and especially natural as she hemorrhaged with Phoebe. I'm so pleased that today's results were more encouraging, and hope they continue to go in the right direction. Huge love to all of you. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind Elizabeth. Tuesday's hospital visit produced a lot of relief after the initial panic by the haematology department. It was nowhere near as bad as they had suggested but still an ongoing concern.

      Delete
  23. Next in this decreasing by half sequence in the title comes1 followed by a half and then a quarter. Does that bet me into MENSA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might bet you into MENSA but it won't get you in Mr Dunham.

      Delete
  24. Such an exciting and worrying time, I remember those emotions from the concerns around the births of my children many years ago now. All turned out well in the end despite the problems and I hope that it will also go well for your daughter and bring you all great joy.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits