20 August 2023

"MEAT"

My son and his Bosh! mate Henry have got a new cookbook out. It is titled "MEAT" which seems an odd name for a book filled with vegan recipes. I guess the title is deliberately provocative. It's saying that there's nothing wrong with vegans replicating meaty textures and flavours in their diets.  Being a herbivore does not mean that you are only entitled to eat lentils and salads with brown rice and the occasional potato. Some traditional vegans may bridle at the idea of vegan dishes that unashamedly seek to imitate meat but for our Ian and Henry being vegan is not a religion and just as much as anybody else, vegans have the right to eat tasty, varied meals.

The "BOSH!" phenomenon continues. They keep riding the wave. Their first plant-based recipe book came out in  April 2018 and was a huge success - the best-selling vegan cookbook in British history. Since then they have been on many TV and radio shows and even had their own ten part TV show called "Living on The Veg". They have now got various products in supermarkets including cakes and ready meals.

Their latest book, "MEAT" is their seventh cookbook. I don't know how long this "journey" will go on because nothing lasts forever but so far Ian and Henry have kept riding that surf  like Olympians. Needless to say, Shirley and I are immensely proud of our son. He has worked incredibly hard to get this far and has done a great deal to push veganism into the mainstream.

By the way, we sometimes eat vegan meals even though we are omnivores. That is allowed. You can eat vegan without being vegan.
Billboard (British - hoardings poster) in East London with Ian and Henry

24 comments:

  1. Finally, a sensible approach to plant based foods rather than the hysteria that surrounds/is created by so many vegan fanatics - as in if you are not a vegan you cannot eat vegan food. I shakes me head at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eating plant-based meals is no reason to form a cult.

      Delete
  2. I've been following some of their "meat" posts on Instagram and I'm really impressed with their efforts. Didn't I see that their Nooch comes in different varieties? I wish that was available where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have "nooch" by Bosh! in our pantry. The best one is the basic cheesy nooch.

      Delete
  3. Adding it to the list of books I'm going to buy ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to Ian on his achievement. I hope he continues to ride the wave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could have just been a flash in the pan but it has grown into something more than that.

      Delete
  5. Well done, Bosh! boys!
    I have tried several vegan meat imitations with mixed results. Only last weekend, O.K. and I had ‘salami sticks’ that were made of soy beans and other non-animal ingredients. Texture-wise, they were good, but they were way too sweet. What and how much spices are used is of course always subject to personal preference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 7th cookbook? They really are on a roll. I hope they continue to do as well for many more years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How his life has changed in six years! Magical.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations to them both. They have certainly worked very hard so long may they ride that wave. And that "meat" looks like jack fruit to me. I'll have to look up their book (on Amazon I presume/hope)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have played around with jackfruit quite a lot.

      Delete
    2. I don't know where you are Treaders but in Great Britain you can buy "MEAT" through Amazon, Waterstones, W.H.Smith etc..

      Delete
  8. Didn't they do well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you the IOM's answer to Bruce Forsyth?

      Delete
  9. The writer and creative didn't fall far from the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess I don't have a problem with vegans imitating the flavor or texture of meat. But sometimes I have to wonder why we waste so much time and energy trying to replicate a hamburger patty. I've had more outstanding vegan dishes than I can count over the years and the worst ones have always been when I have been served some sort of patty on a bun trying to replicate the simple hamburger. If I want a hamburger, I'll get mine with meat. If I want a delicious vegan meal, there are a million other ways to deliver one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just want to say that those two men have absolutely done a great job in continuing their work and furthering their business. I'm sure they have worked very hard both creatively and in every other way. Hurray for them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish them continued success, Neil!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should be proud of those boys! I made their chili (Bosh on a Budget) to take on a recent camping trip and it was delicious. Now I'm intrigued to see their new "Meat" cookbook. I ate some vegan sausages (Beyond Meat) at my sister's place this past weekend and I can't get them out of my mind. Who would have thought a vegan sausage could be so scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to the pair of them, they are riding high on a wave now but at some stage it will start to fall. Though of course Linda McCarthy's vegetarian range is still going strong but perhaps that is not a good example.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the billboard! Clever! Yeah, I ate a vegan lunch today, actually, and I'm not vegan. Nothing wrong with minimizing meat in your diet even if you don't cut it out entirely.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits