20 January 2024

Aphorisms

The picture is of the English novelist John Fowles (1926-2005). Amongst other works, he wrote "The Collector", "The Magus" and "The French Lieutenant's Woman". I thought he had so much merit as a writer that in early 1977 I picked him to be the main subject of my degree dissertation. I even wrote to him and very kindly he responded helpfully to the various questions I posed.

By that time, he was already living on the edge of Lyme Regis - a seaside town in the county of Dorset. By all accounts, there he lived a  quiet life - immersed in his reading and writing. For several years, he was also the voluntary director of the town museum but mostly he kept himself to himself. Unlike some published writers, he was not a natural socialite and did not enjoy blowing his own trumpet.

Following the success of his first book, "The Collector" (1963), John Fowles's next published book was entitled "The Aristos: A Self-Portrait in Ideas" (1964). It is a collection of aphorisms that he had been jotting down for most of his adult life. An aphorism is a  concise or pithy observation that contains a general truth or wise notion - something like a saying.

As a university student I would often reflect upon Fowles's aphorisms. It wasn't the kind of book that you were meant to read like a novel  - not a page turner. It was a book that you dipped in and out of  - gathering kernels of wisdom or morsels of food for thought:
  • All of us are failures; we all die. Nobody wants to be a nobody. All our acts are partly devised to fill or to mask the emptiness we feel at the core. We all like to be loved or hated; it is a sign that we shall be remembered, that we did not 'not exist'.
  • The profoundest distances are never geographical.
  • The genius, of course, is largely indifferent to contemporary success; and his/her commitment to his/her  ideals, both artistic and political, is profoundly, Byronically, indifferent to their contemporary popularity.
  • There comes a time in each life like a point of fulcrum. At that time you must accept yourself. It is not any more what you will become. It is what you are and always will be.
  • We all want things we can't have. Being a decent human being is accepting that.
  • Being an atheist is a matter not of moral choice, but of human obligation.
  • I think we are just insects, we live a bit and then die and that’s the lot. There’s no mercy in things. There’s not even a Great Beyond. There’s nothing.
  • There is no plan. All is hazard. And the only thing that will preserve us is ourselves.
They are only words but an aphorism can focus the mind in ways that longer works will fail to achieve.  I'm glad that "The Aristos" was a useful companion book for me almost  fifty years ago. Those lines helped me to articulate ideas and reflections that I sometimes struggled to put into words even though some of John Fowles's  ideas were at odds with mine.

34 comments:

  1. Tis guy was a deep thinker and he made his readers think as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. He was more than an average novelist who seeks to entertain.

      Delete
  2. I must have it!! I must! How is it I have never read "The Aristos: A Self-Portrait in Ideas"?????? I am gonna go look for it right now! Thank you so much, Brother Pudding. You made my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is still out there. I am guessing that you once read "The Magus"?

      Delete
  3. Food for thought, indeed. And some of these ideas are at odds with mine, too, while I fully agree with others.
    I would like to know what Fowles' full definition of a decent human being was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's easy! Yorkshire Pudding!

      Delete
    2. And the definition of a narcissist is? 😂 🙄

      Delete
    3. Isn't it a kind of miniature daffodil?

      Delete
  4. Seemed to have waved a magic wand and now can answer in comments. Aphorisms are very fine, though can appear too weighty. I used to keep a commonplace book, with all aphorisms duly noted, then one day threw the books away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That leads to another aphorism:
      "Those who throw books of aphorisms away will in time feature in aphorisms themselves".

      Delete
  5. Lipstick makes the wearer's eyes look brighter.
    Is that an aphorism? It's one of my greatest observations so I hope it counts.
    I would have thought atheism more a philosophy than a moral choice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that certainly does count Kylie. I will leave the question alone.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for publicising that. Like Meike I agree with some and disagree with others. However the thing about aphorisms is, off course, that after studying a single one for a week, month, year, lifetime one may have many different views of its voracity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or even its veracity.

      Delete
    2. Ooops! I can't even blame the spillchucker.

      Delete
  7. Talking bollocks is easy. Keeping quiet is much harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not an aphorism that guided Boris Johnson's life in any way.

      Delete
  8. He sounds a very amiable man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he was tormented by his intellect. He never quite fitted in.

      Delete
  9. Love the quotes, but this one is perfection:
    "The profoundest distances are never geographical."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a book worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with the last two especially. Some people find that kind of thinking terrifying but I find it weirdly comforting. There is no plan. It's freeing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of our Book Group reads was 'The Collector' and out of 8 of us only myself and two others read it. I didn't like it but read it because it was the Group book. To me it was 100 pages too long, IMO Fred was a nasty piece of work, who went from collecting Butterflies to young girls. Creepy, and made me feel afraid for my granddaughter, who lives in London, so I suppose Fowles was a good author to make me feel that way. I did write about it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like those aphorisms. Mine would be, facts seldom change people's minds.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know of him only because of the Magus, a book my father really loved and gave it to me to read. I have never read it. By the time my father gave it to me, I was already only reading non-fiction. But I think it still sits on the downstairs library shelves should I ever change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, I do not know this author, Neil. Only The Collector and The Magus are in my library so I will make a note to check them out. Thanks for explaining what an aphorism is as I didn't know that either!

    ReplyDelete
  16. After seeing the film of the "French Lieutenant's Woman, I read "The Magus". Not a book I enjoyed, I felt he was a humourless author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lost in "The Magus". It was like being in a maze. In fact John Fowles seriously considered "The Maze" as an alternative title. I absolutely loved it.

      Delete
  17. I remember reading The Collector years ago and being unnerved by it. Not a comfortable read, particularly for women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also unnerved by it. It seemed so plausible.

      Delete
  18. If that's your book in the last picture, it looks well-used.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What the heck is an aphorism? Where's my dictionary? Oh. Maxim. Adage. etc.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits