25 January 2024

Holdovers

Inspired by John Gray's recent recommendation, I went to "The Showroom" on Wednesday afternoon to watch "The Holdovers". Directed by Alexander Payne, it stars Paul Giamatti as boarding school classics teacher Paul Hunham, Da'Vine Joy Randolph as Mary Lamb, the school's head cook  and Dominic Sessa as Angus Tully - one of five schoolboys who, for different reasons,  have to stay over at the school through the Christmas break.

It was a really lovely film that held my attention throughout. There was no mind-drifting in the cinema darkness. I guess you could say that "The Holdovers" is quiet just like the wintry rural New England in which it is mostly set. There are no guns and no detectives, just three people  with hidden stories that they struggle to contain and articulate.

I believed in all three characters and there was subtle humour too such as when Angus Tully has to visit hospital to get his dislocated shoulder put back in its socket. It served him right for bounding over a pummel horse in the gymnasium - only to find there was no safety matting on the other side.

A British film critic I have long admired is Mark Kermode. His approvals have often led me to great films that I might otherwise have overlooked. Here he is talking to Simon Mayo about "The Holdovers":-

26 comments:

  1. Johns post inspired me to put The Holdovers on my list to watch but I didn't think it was out in Australia yet.
    As it happens, it is so I'll try to get there this weekend.
    Paul Giamatti is fabulous and a fellow CMTer so I especially like to watch him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't know what a CMTer is. I hope it's nothing rude and I also hope you treat yourself to "The Holdovers" Kylie.

      Delete
    2. We share the same neurological disorder: CMT

      Delete
  2. Noted, in case it comes to The Colonies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is showing here and while I like the look of it, I think 133 minutes is too long. 90 to 100 minutes is long enough to tell a good tale.

      Delete
    2. Surely, it depends on the tale. I was fully absorbed for 133 minutes. Never restless.

      Delete
  3. Giamatti is fabulous. (kylie) Nothing more needs to be said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to see it yourself Bruce.

      Delete
  4. I want to see this film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out the cinema schedules Margaret and if it is on please treat yourself.

      Delete
  5. I liked The Holdovers. It's not loud and chaotic. The plot and acting are great.

    Love,
    Janie Junebug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might not be everybody's cup of tea but for me it was just perfect. A film to get lost in.

      Delete
  6. I like the title when the story explains things. In the arctic most kids stayed in residence over Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you have to dress up as Santa Claus?

      Delete
  7. It sounds like a movie I could watch though I doubt it will make it to Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on in Sydney and Melbourne. Has Adelaide had "The Sound of Music" yet?

      Delete
    2. Oh Ha Ha! We're not THAT far behind! I'll keep an eye out for it at the nearest Cinema.

      Delete
    3. I saw it last week in Syd. I liked the slightly retro style of the film making. What with the Cat Stevens songs it made me think of "Harold and Maude." Similar period, social class and offstage Vietnam.

      Delete
  8. This sounds like something I want to watch. If it's available on Neflix or AppleTV, I'll find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't be there quite yet. Maybe soon.

      Delete
  9. I just watched the trailer. It looks good and " I thought all the Nazis were living in Argentina?" Very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like just the kind of film I like. I am not one to enjoy action movies with blood and gore. Now I have to find out where I can see this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I should go see that, there are a couple of theaters easy to get to from here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with Meike - I hope it comes to Netflix soon so I can watch it. Sounds like a good movie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I watched it on Peacock here in the US. It was a sweet movie. Thank you for the suggestion. Tim and I both enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've seen previews for this but we haven't tried it yet. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits