24 January 2024

Solution


It's a coconut grating stool! A schoolboy made it for me on the island of Rotuma in the South Pacific back in 1973. It was carved from one solid piece of wood before a rudimentary grating blade was attached and held in place with a piece of scrap tin.

The idea is that you straddle the stool then take halves of mature coconuts and between your legs grate away at the white flesh within. A bowl would be positioned beneath the blade to catch the grated flesh.

Later the grated coconut would be pressed or squeezed to capture the milkiness contained in the flesh. This oily coconut milk was very useful in cooking. The remaining gratings would be fed to chickens.

It seems that pretty much everywhere that coconut palms grow naturally - from eastern Africa to India and the Pacific islands - human beings came up with similar devices. There are many variations upon this theme and some of them could appear far more stylish than my rustic device.

The grating stool shown below was made in the nineteenth century on Nukuoro Island in the area of The Pacific known as Micronesia. Here, rather than a metal grating tool there is a hard piece of seashell secured by coconut fibre twine.


The picture below shows a large coconut grinding stool at Noa'tau on the very  same island, north of the Fiji Islands,  where my prized device was made. I believe that the photo was taken in the 1920's:-
©Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand

28 comments:

  1. Well it does look like a Corgi anyway. And if used the way you describe, it looks dangerous. Like a Unicorn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worst thing would be getting right down to sit on that thing.

      Delete
  2. I had no clue but google-image-searched it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google Image Search is an amazing facility that has helped me out quite a number of times.

      Delete
  3. So I was right, then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Mrs Dunham often says, "You are always right!"

      Delete
  4. I learned something new!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have used our coconut scraper, extremely rudimentary compared to yours, exactly one time. I should replace it with one like yours so that at least it might double as a work of art when not in use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen them being used in The Philippines?

      Delete
    2. I have not but since I built ours from Filipino instructions, I guess I have in a way.

      Delete
  6. I didn't have a clue until I read Tasker's reply. It seemed too specific to be wrong! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only a certain percentage of what Tasker Dunham says is believable.

      Delete
  7. Never would'a guessed it. I send my coconuts out to be grated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make America Grate Again!

      Delete
    2. I nearly spluttered my coffee all over my work laptop reading this!

      Delete
    3. Hahaha! Good one!

      Delete
  8. Never seen one before and didn't check your photo with google, so I really had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Used intelligently, Google Image Search can help us in lots of ways.

      Delete
  9. Every home should have one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would never have known what it was if you didn't explain it. It's beautiful wood.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A really useful piece of gardening equipment in Yorkshire I guess?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many coconut palms here!

      Delete
  12. I learn new things every day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well you can definitely see the similarity to the ones in that bottom picture. Same regional style, I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits