2 January 2024

Raye

New Year's Eves ain't what they used to be round here. When the kids were little, we would invite other families round to see in the new year and we kept the children up late before linking arms and singing "Auld Lang's Syne". Fun times, laughter and togetherness. Generations moving on as our old calendars were thrown away. Ringing in the new.

And before that there were nights in pubs or special New Year events involving music - at Hull City Hall , Sheffield City Hall and the like. As one millennium turned into another (1999/2000)  the entire centre of Sheffield became a party venue for which you had to have tickets.

But this New Year, Shirley went up to bed at eleven as I stayed up watching Jools Holland's annual "Hootenanny" on BBC 2. It has has become a New Year televisual tradition in this kingdom on the edge of Europe. 

As 2023 linked arms with 2024, Jools showcased three young British artistes - all female.  They were Joss Stone, Olivia Dean and Raye. I had heard of Joss Stone but not the other two. Raye's full name is Rachel Agatha Keen and she became twenty six on the very day that my grandson Zachary was born. Her mother is of Ghanaian and Swiss heritage but her father is from The Promised Land aka Yorkshire.

In creating this blogpost, I mainly wanted to share Raye's talent for singing with you. She is also an accomplished songwriter. There are three video clips to check out - if indeed you are in the mood for listening to someone new.

30 comments:

  1. She's the full package! Stunning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What a voice. She will be going into my spotify playlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased to have indicated her existence to you.

      Delete
  3. I listened to the first one for about three minutes before I'd had enough. I appreciate the talent, but her style is not what I can listen to for long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will tell her to cancel your fan club membership.

      Delete
  4. New years eve is just like any other for me. Dad is still in hospital but getting better! Just popped in to wish you and yours a healthy and happy 2024. Take care. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep up the good caring work and the love Christina.

      Delete
  5. Raye is definitely star material - she's got the looks, the voice, and very obviously has a lot of fun doing what she does. Up until now I'd not heard of her, or Olivia Dean. I was only familiar with Joss Stone and remember having seen a youtube clip of a life performance of hers where she sings "Son of a Preacher Man", one of my all-time favourite songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like me you do not have your finger on the pulse of the forever evolving music scene.

      Delete
  6. She has a lovely voice but I shall always see that song 'Running up that Hill' with Kate Bush as singing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite like to hear different interpretations of memorable songs.

      Delete
  7. I may be in the mood but my ears won't comply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't you get some new ones - like a desert fox's for example?

      Delete
  8. It's a good Kate Bush cover - Running Up That Hill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer running down that hill. You get less breathless.

      Delete
  9. I can appreciate the talent but I've really got to be in the mood to listen to that genre of music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few wee drams an ye'll be in the mood, ken?

      Delete
  10. I stayed up just past midnight, or 5 AM in Yorkshire time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She has a lovely voice and reminds me of older singers from the fifties. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has been singing all of her life - often in churches. It's in her blood.

      Delete
  12. I've never heard of Raye. Nor have I heard of Jools Holland's "Hootenanny." Thanks for filling gaps in my cultural knowledge, YP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would need a hell of a lot of plaster to fill all the gaps. Perhaps a lorry load.

      Delete
  13. I can't remember the last time I stayed up to midnight on New Year's Eve. I think once I had kids, I just didn't bother as I needed my sleep.
    Kate Bush was just installed in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and they featured her song, "Running Up That Hill". It's a great song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raye clearly thought the same Ellen.

      Delete
  14. I enjoyed that clip, thanks for sharing it. She's a real talent!

    Your beautiful card arrived yesterday. Thank you so much, we loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Spent every New Years Eve with Jools Holland's annual "Hootenanny" for years, and even now I do with hubby, because we knew we could spend the morning, drinking coffee in our dressing gowns and we did!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Was that Jools Holland playing piano on Raye's last song? If so, he is very good. But sorry, Raye is not my cup of tea. Got any Eartha Kitt?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Watching Raye sing reminded me of 2011 and the death of Amy Winehouse.
    Then of Jennifer Connelly singing Sway from the David Lynch film Dark City.
    Who could have predicted the return of the jazz-rock diva ?
    Poor Amy changed everything and did not live to see it.

    YouTube :
    Norah Jones & Seth MacFarlane - If I Had A Talking Picture of You.
    Janelle Monae - Say You'll Go.
    Sinn Eeg - Windmills of Your Mind.
    Julianne Peterson - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road & Gentle On My Mind.
    The Petersons played Glasgow last month but were booked out before I could
    get a ticket.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits