9 January 2024

Wildebeest

December 22nd, 2023
Dear Mr Turner,

Yesterday afternoon, my wife, daughter, two young grandchildren and I attended the matinee performance of "Beauty and The Beast" at Sheffield's Lyceum Theatre. We had seats up in the balcony.

When we first arrived, the rows of seats behind us were all empty but then just before the performance was about to commence, a big contingent of pupils from Anonymous Middle School arrived. They poured in like a herd of wildebeest crossing some river in Africa. My heart sank a little at that point.

However, I need not have worried because your pupils were very well-behaved throughout the show. And this is the reason I am writing to you - to congratulate the pupils who came to Sheffield on their excellent behaviour. Having been a teacher myself for forty years I think I know what I am talking about when it comes to the conduct of school parties in public. The youngsters were a credit to your school, their families and of course themselves. Congratulations are also due to the staff who kindly supervised this trip.
Regards,
Colonel Y. Pudding

⦿

January 8th 2024
Dear Colonel Pudding

Thank you very much for taking the time to email. As you'll know, people are often quite quick to send negative feedback so it's always lovely to receive emails like yours. I will make sure your feedback is shared with all concerned.

We are very lucky to work with such great pupils who are supported by a fantastic staff team.

I saw the show with my family over the hoildays holidays; it was excellent as usual and is always a highlight of the Christmas period.

Thank you again for taking the time to email and for your kind words of support.

Regards,


C. Turner
Mr Chris Turner
Executive Headteacher
Anonymous Middle School, Huddersfield


36 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you wrote to the school. A boost like this can keep people going for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how tough teaching can be and it hasn't got any easier since I departed.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Your last name is Taylor. If you don't believe me, check with Judy.

      Delete
    2. But the reply came from Mr. Turner.

      Delete
    3. You got me officer! I made a mistake which you spotted with your first rate reading glasses.

      Delete
  3. Good for you for sending such a positive note when it was so warranted. People often only speak up when they have complaints and the world would be a better place if we put more emphasis on the things done right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to give credit where credit is due.

      Delete
  4. Of course they are well-behaved. They are from the area to the south of Huddersfield. Not many middle schools left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps the middle schoolers of south Huddersfield live in fear of their wardens.

      Delete
  5. Nice. Unexpected praise makes people so happy. I know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good on you for complementing that class. Next time they will be better yet. We took all of our L.A. classes to see professional theater once a year. We had to bus to Edmonton but it was well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What were you doing in L.A.? It's a long way from Edmonton.

      Delete
  7. How lovely to have well behaved school children behind you and how lovely to go out of your way to let the school know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice of you to compliment the school and the pupils and with the headmaster letting the pupils know will garner a little extra pride amongst themselves so reinforcing the good behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some kids can be pains in the ass but those children weren't.

      Delete
  9. Like you, I gladly and generously give positive feedback when it is deserved. For instance, when the canteen staff at the office have provided a really good lunch, I send them an email. It does not happen every day I work there, but it happens fairly often, and I hope such positive feedback motivates them further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good code to follow in management or leadership is: Praise Criticism Praise - in those proportions.

      Delete
  10. Didn't he realise that you are not a real Colonel?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did the headmaster play in goals for Manchester United? It's very noble of you to write such a letter. Not many people will actually take the time to write a letter these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The headmaster was a better goalkeeper than that!

      Delete
  12. I was a teacher myself for 40 years, so when you wrote about the middle school coming in, my mind pictured all sorts of shenanigans. I remember when we used to bring our students to Washington DC to see a play at the historic Ford's Theatre and I was always so relieved/thankful that they were well behaved as I know things can go south very quickly when dealing with middle school students. Kudos to you for writing them. It is always good to hear positive things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teachers who arrange and supervise trips deserve financial bonuses.

      Delete
  13. It's refreshing to hear that a crowd of schoolchildren behaved themselves. No doubt the pupils who were known troublemakers were kept back at school and made to write out " I must behave myself in future or I won't go to the theatre" at least 500 times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, schools sometimes use the weapon you have described - even at OFSTED inspections!

      Delete
  14. I always love being "pleasantly surprised" in instances like that. Good for you to write and acknowledge that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise is more powerful than criticism.

      Delete
  15. That was nice of you, Neil.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is important to reinforce good behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all teachers are aware of that tactic.

      Delete
  17. Good job sending positive reinforcement! I didn't realize you had attained a military rank -- is that from marshaling troops of middle schoolers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fought in The Falklands War, leading my troops against The Argies.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits