4 February 2019

Chats

TREACLE
ZORRO (left) & BOUNDER
DAISY
The four cats pictured above are the most sociable and seem to have no issue with the fact that they have a new and unfamiliar keeper. Zorro and Treacle in particular have shown me plenty of what might be construed as affection though a cat psychologist might well describe it as something else.

The other six cats seem wary of me as if believing they now have a mass murderer in their midst. They are in and out of that cat flap like lightning bolts. These are not urban house cats; they are rural, half-wild and free.

Yesterday was as chilly as Saturday. After doing my chores and reading another chapter of "Sons and Lovers", I drove to Pamier, planning to do a little shopping in the big Intermarche Hypermarket by the autoroute that links Toulouse with Andorra. I knew that this cavernous warehouse-like shop opens at 9.30am on Sundays but I hadn't checked its closing time. It closed at 12.45pm and I arrived an hour later. How was I to survive?

I headed for McDonalds and navigated one of the big touchscreen menus that greet would-be customers nowadays. Personally, I would rather go up to a counter to place my order with a human being but in that regard I guess I am somewhat old-fashioned. Nobody else seems to mind.

Today, Monday, I am planning to go for a long country walk. The sun is shining, the herd is fed so its time to rock and roll. I can clean up the log fire later. Adieu mes amis!

18 comments:

  1. McDonald's in France! What? Is that allowed? Did you bring french fries home for the chats? They are handsome little lions. Treacle looks very much like own beloved wound-giver, Maurice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treacle is a soft as cotton wool - I doubt that you would say that about your Maurice. Oh, and they have McDonalds in France for many years Madame Moon.

      Delete
    2. In fact, McDonalds is one of the very few places where minority youths in France can get hired to get on the first rung of the "work ladder". McDonald's is France's largest employer of minorities by a wide margin and the jobs are highly prized in what we call the inner cities and, I would guess, in rural areas where you are now. As Ali G would say, "Respect."

      Thank you for the kitty pix. Your brother has a way with names.

      Delete
  2. Chats - I thought you'd turned into an online chatline, YP. I realise now you mean CATS!!! Haha. I believe in Germany shops are still closed on a Sunday. We have been spoilt here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shopworkers haven't been spoilt though have they?

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing some pictures of your new friends. Daisy has a sweet face. Hopefully the others will warm up to you. Enjoy your country walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am back from the country walk npw Bonnie. It was great and the cats didn't wreck the joint!

      Delete
  4. 4 + 6 = ... not nine! I blame the McDonald's food. Thank you for the pictures. These four do indeed look unperturbed by your presence, even with a camera.

    Be careful out there, hiker-who-hasn't-got-a-cell-phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay Jenny. I taught English - not Maths!

      Delete
  5. You travel all the way to France and eat a McDonalds - sacré bleu! You should have found a nice little bistro and eaten cassoulet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie directed me to one of their favourite budget restaurants and I will go there one day but at McDonalds there's no communication problem. In fact I pressed a button so that the touchscreen menu was presented in English. When I go to the budget restaurant I will have cassoulet if it is on the menu...just to please you!

      Delete
  6. They are beautiful.

    Remy is sitting here beside my keyboard as I type! He is giving his nod of approval, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I should start up an international cat dating agency. Remy and Daisy could make beautiful music together. We could call our wensite "Pussies.com". I am sure it would receive lots of hits.

      Delete
    2. Yes, it certainly would, Yorkie. There sure would be a lot of misconception involved.

      Delete
  7. Like Jenny, I was confused about the number of cats... you said there were 9, then you said there were 4 and six others... or did you mean Zorro and Treacle, the more affectionate ones, plus the other six? That would make 8... Or maybe you counted one of the visiting cats from the neighbourhood as well.
    Anyway, I am glad to hear you had a great walk and hope you'll show us some pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay you got me! I am innumerate. Four cats are pictured and five others refuse to be photographed.

      Delete
  8. I wonder if the cats (some of them, anyway) sense some similarity between you and your brother? Maybe they know you're family. I'm with you on the McDonald's thing. In Florida you can go to the counter if you don't want to use the screens, and I always go to the counter. I've never been to a McD's in England, weirdly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never entered a McDomalds weirdly myself. I always go in like the fine, upstanding citizen I am.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits