5 February 2024

Nothing

Well, it is a Tuesday night and I have got nothing to blog about... diddly squat, nought, zero, zilch or as we say in Yorkshire - nowt.  I suspect that COVID has left me with a legacy of  long-lasting laziness so instead of blogging properly I will leave you with a song from The Doors that I first encountered in 1969:-


Jim Morrison died in Paris on July 3rd 1971 when he was just twenty seven years old. He died in his then girlfriend's rented apartment and the circumstances were mysterious but it is almost certain that heroin played a part. It was fifty three years ago. The French authorities did not perform an autopsy and their investigations were rather superficial.

Of this song, Morrison said: "Every time I hear that song, it means something else to me. I really don't know what I was trying to say. It just started out as a simple goodbye song ... Probably just to a girl, but I could see how it could be goodbye to a kind of childhood. I really don't know. I think it's sufficiently complex and universal in its imagery that it could be almost anything you want it to be."

If he had lived, he would have been 81 years old last December.
Jim Morrison's grave in Paris

This is the end, beautiful friend
This is the end, my only friend
The end of our elaborate plans
The end of everything that stands

The end
No safety or surprise
The end
I'll never look into your eyes again

23 comments:

  1. During the 90s, I visited his grave in Paris. I wonder if his fans are still leaving objects at the site. He died way too young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I googled images of his grave and it seems that the pilgrims keep on coming.

      Delete
  2. Nice. I liked him very much. Not so nice for him but I like that his image has never aged. I don't want to see him at 81.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you die young, you are remembered as you were - in your prime.

      Delete
  3. Twenty-seven is way too young to die. Sounds like he had a short, chaotic life, but I loved his voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had a very IQ and read many demanding books but he should have read one titled "How To Live Happily Without Heroin or Other Destructive Drugs".

      Delete
  4. I didn't listen to the whole song, it's over 6 minutes and I have a lot of blogs to get through reading. It is a sad song and also sad that he died at such a young age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for giving this blog two minutes of your precious time Elsie!

      Delete
  5. He was my parents' generation but his life could not have been more different from theirs. And thankfully, my Dad made it to his 80th birthday, and my Mum will be celebrating hers this August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you and your sister are planing something special for your mum's birthday - like a weekend away somewhere special.

      Delete
    2. She doesn't want to be away over night, and has already planned her birthday "do" with friends and family at a restaurant in Ludwigsburg. But we have been thinking of some special event as a gift for her, of course.

      Delete
  6. "I Have Nothing " Whitney Houston. Another singer who died too young. I once saw her at Sheffield Arena.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was she performing or was she in the audience, sitting next to you?

      Delete
  7. There is always something to blog about, when we have nothing to blog about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't expect to be blogging about Jim Morrison.

      Delete
  8. Did you know that Morrison lived in Tallahassee for awhile, attending FSU? And he was born in Melbourne, FL which is right down the road from Roseland where I lived as a child.
    Another Florida man?
    He was a poet and he had a powerful voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read about the Tallahassee link. He was highly intelligent but not intelligent enough to avoid heroin and cocaine etc..

      Delete
  9. It's impossible to imagine Jim Morrison at 81 years old, isn't it? I love "The End." One of my favorite Doors songs. The only one on my iTunes, in fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe he had so much more to give.

      Delete
  10. As I remember, a lot of musicians died too young back in the day. Always seemed a waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 27 is the age at which many well-known rock stars have died - including Kurt Cobain and Britain's Amy Winehouse. Tragic.

      Delete
  11. Probably not in your news but did you happen to see the Tracy Chapman/Luke Combs duet on the Grammys singing "Fast Car"? I've always loved that song and after all these years, was blown away by it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will seek that out Ed. Thank you. When I first heard Tracy Chapman, I was blown away by her compositions and the way she sang them.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits