14 February 2024

Repeat

People who have been bloggers for many years can investigate their own big blogpost libraries where we may occasionally look back on how things used to be - what we did and what we thought - sometimes revisiting special moments in our lives - like births and deaths and holidays.

Re-blogging has not been my style but today I thought I would give it a go. After all, the regular visitors I once received have mostly been replaced over the years

This is a  blogpost I first posted on February 14th 2010. That's exactly fourteen years ago when I was  a young lad of 56. I wrote it just a few months after I had retired and I was still getting used to a new life beyond my busy role as The Head of English in a tough Sheffield secondary school.  It was a job that had just about drained the lifeblood from me.

Shirley and I had been away for the weekend - to the place where, millions of years ago, Cro Magnon went to school...

⦿

Fenland

At Wicken Fen

Living here, it is easy to forget that England has so much variety, so much beauty, so much history, so much evidence of our forefathers' ingenuity.

Shirley and I decided to have a weekend break in an area of England we hardly know - the fenland north of Cambridge. Here the rich peaty soil is as black as coal. The mainly flat landscape is criss-crossed with dykes and ditches that were first dug by hand in medieval times to drain what was once a waterlogged marshy world. Above those marshes, occasional clay and gravelly hillocks rose - perhaps only a few feet higher than the surrounding marshes but it was here that ancient fenland settlements grew like islands. One such island was The Isle of Eels where the tiny city of Ely is situated. In medieval times eels were incredibly plentiful in the area and they were an important source of both food and wealth. It is said that each stone of the magnificent Ely Cathedral was paid for in eels.

Ely Cathedral began as a simple Saxon church in AD 673, founded by Saint or Queen Ethelreda. So when the Normans arrived, there had already been an important place of worship in Ely for four hundred years. They set about constructing a vast abbey and monastic complex. That job took over a hundred years to complete and then in the fourteenth century, reflecting East Anglia's economic power, further additions were made including the unique "Octagon" in the centre of the cathedral with its lantern tower that rises 43 metres above the ground.

Above - Ely's "lantern" - internal and external views.

For me one fascinating aspect of medieval church construction concerns the origins of the stones that were used. Around Ely there is no stone at all. The limestone that was selected had to be brought along ancient waterways by barge from quarries over fifty miles away. Imagine that! Hewing huge blocks, dragging them onto carts, taking them to primitive wooden wharves to manoeuvre on to wooden barges that were powered by sails or horses and then days later dragging those same blocks from the Great Ouse wharf at Ely before hauling them up to the cathedral site. Voyage after voyage. The audacity of it! And what was driving them? The power of Christian belief or some sort of economic might that had to declare its presence?

On Friday night we had an amazing curry in the Sylhet curry house on Market Street, drank several beers on Saturday night and on Sunday morning we headed south to Wicken Fen - a National Trust property. Wicken is both a bird sanctuary and a piece of the original fenland landscape with sedge meadows, an original wind-driven pump, reed beds and watery channels. Agriculture has never mastered these unique acres.

Studying the map, I see Thetford, Downham Market, Kings Lynn, Saffron Walden, March, Chatteris - all Fenland or East Anglian towns we have never seen. This was once the cradle of England's economic power - especially as the wool trade burgeoned in the fourteenth century. I think we will be back some day soon...

22 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what I'll do when I reach the ripe old age of 56. Perhaps I'll give up blogging instead of starting another one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you could learn to play a banjo and sit in a rocking chair on your porch singing "The Iowa Corn Song" as the sun goes down.

      Delete
  2. The wrong River Ouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The word 'ouse' is a very common name for rivers in England; it derives from the Celtic word 'Usa', from udso-, which simply means 'water'.

      Delete
  3. Home of my paternal grandmothers folks. Generations were baptised at Ely Cathedral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely little city with amazing history.

      Delete
  4. I've only recently learnt about Fens and the word is rather nicer than saying drained swampland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Norfolk Broads is a national park that allows boating holidays.

      Delete
  5. I didn't realize you've been retired so long. That Cathedral is beautiful. What drives men to build monuments? Power? The need to build something so that the future doesn't forget them? Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this case it was probably money and control as was the case with all of our Norman abbeys.

      Delete
  6. The Cathedral is a work of art with the Octagon being the jewel in its crown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Built without the aid of modern scaffolding or electric tools.

      Delete
  7. I wasn't following you in 2010 as I'd just started blogging so it's an interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seem to have been around Blogland for a long time Red. I am glad that I "met" you.

      Delete
  8. I've never been to that part of England but would love a visit - if only I had more time (and were more mobile) when in Yorkshire!
    When you originally wrote that post, you were the age that I'll be in about 4 weeks' time. As you know, I don't actually re-post, but I frequently link to my own older posts when mentioning a place or event I have visited before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 56 in March. That's a good age and I am sorry that you won't be able to retire too.

      Delete
  9. I have spent a week in Peterborough and the cathedral is rather beautiful. I have never been to Cambridge. Oxford really impressed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire folk are more likely to have visited Cambridge as it is on the east of the country.

      Delete
  10. A nice place to go back to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might never be back there again - in person.

      Delete
  11. That's an amazing shot of an amazing tower! Hard to figure out how they built that!
    I'm reading the memoir of Sir Patrick Stewart who grew up in Mirfield in western Yorkshire. Do you know where that is?

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is good to visit somewhere new, despite the hankering to go to a place other than home but still familiar.
    So..you're also vintage 1953 ? A good year 😎

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits