9 February 2024

Tribute

Sarah Miller of Both Sides Now.

A ten minute walk from our house you reach The Greystones public house. It has a concert room at the rear called, quite imaginatively, "The Backroom".  It holds about 250 and though it doesn't host world famous arena acts, it is a popular venue for what I might call moderately successful mid-range bands and singers. On more than one occasion it has been voted Britain's best small venue for music.

Tonight more by default than design, I was there to witness a concert by a tribute band called "Both Sides Now". The name gives it away for they honour the music and lyricism of Joni Mitchell. They are not trying to be imitators. Those who pay tribute do not have to copy.

The Backroom was packed and my friend Mike had got there long before me. I arrived at 8pm just before the band came on the stage. In the first half I sat on a stool in the aisle but in the second half I managed to sit on the front row for I had earlier spotted an empty space there.

Both Sides Now consists of four skilled musicians - drums, bass, lead guitar and keyboards but the voice of the band comes from Sarah Miller who looks more like Bonnie Tyler than Joni Mitchell.

In my judgement, there were some issues with sound balance - with the guitars threatening to smother Sarah Miller's voice but the second half was better in that regard. It is fifty years since the album, "Court and Spark" was released and several numbers on the playlist came from that album.

My favourite Joni Mitchell album will always be "Blue" and thankfully  the band covered "A Case of You", "Carey", "River" and "California" but the song I enjoyed most was in fact "Both Sides Now". Sarah Miller sang it with only keyboard accompaniment and though I am sure she has sung it many times before, it was fresh and heartfelt finishing to loud applause from the audience. It's a great song and it was good to hear an original interpretation of it.  The video below is quite faithful.

I am glad I went. My ticket became available because Mike's wife Jill has been ill this week. If you're reading this Mike - thanks a lot!

10 comments:

  1. One of my favourite songs.
    A good tribute band brings their own twist whilst still paying homage - copycat bands make me cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your description brings Joni Mitchel back right away. Joni Mitchel is from a long time ago now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was never a Joni Mitchell fan but I did listen a little bit. It just isn't my kind of music. Maybe when I'm older I might appreciate it more?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous venue YP. I would be there every week.. I see Mark Radcliffe is there next week and Martin Turner in May. He's an ex member of Wishbone Ash I saw him in Kent in 2019 and him and his band are excellent. You can't beat live music can you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joni Mitchel would be a hard person to cover as her voice was one of those that is so distinctive, that many such as myself, wouldn't be able to hear a different voice and enjoy the song in the same way. But the song linked above was pretty decent and is one of my favorites along with Big Yellow Taxi and Amelia, the latter which has been rumbling through my brain this last week due to the news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you read this, Mike: Best wishes to Jill for a speedy recovery!
    Smaller venues are so conductive to a good concert. In the mid 1980s, I saw Depeche Mode playing at what was then our favourite club in Stuttgart, and a couple of years later The Stray Cats in another small venue in the Stuttgart area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A song that brings back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah Miller has a lovely voice. I like the pianist too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we listened to the Judy Collins' version of Both Sides Now. She and Carole King were favorites when I was in college.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One person wrote on Facebook, "When you write a song at 23 years old and then you sing it again at the Grammy Awards at 80, and that song proclaims "I've looked at life from both sides now," it makes it seem like you're not only a great songwriter but someone who planned and built a song that could accomplish this exact feat..."

    Hard to believe her Grammy appearance was her debut there.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits