2 February 2024

Shingles

Until today, I had not seen my old friend Bert for just over two weeks. I opened his door and called in, "Bert! It's me Yorkshire Pudding!" Then I went into his back room where he spends almost all of his time sitting side on to the blaring television. I had brought him a fresh "Banner Crust" sausage roll in a paper bag.

I was taken aback when I saw him because he is in the middle of a shingles attack. One side of his face is perfectly normal but the other side is reddened and a little swollen with a cluster of dark scabbing around his right eye and forehead - rather like the poor woman at the top of this blogpost.

Bert appears to be over the peak of the attack and in ten days or so he should be fine though there could be some lasting scarring. Shingles is most common in the elderly and over in America one in three senior citizens will probably experience it.

Though I have been invited to my local health centre for an anti-shingles vaccination later this month, I didn't really know much about the condition until today. Upon seeing Bert, my immediate concern was that it might be infectious. However, I need not have worried because it seems that only people who have never had chicken pox are at risk of getting it if they come into contact with victims of shingles.

Anyway, having spent ninety minutes in Bert's presence, I decided not to visit my daughter's house because Baby Margot could potentially become infected - a remote possibility I know but I didn't want to risk it. She was exactly three months old today.

On the mouse front, I have laid the trap again. It was perhaps twenty five years ago that I was last aware of a mouse in the house or as Scots say, a moose in the hoose! Back then I caught just one mouse and that seemed to do the trick and this time round we have seen no mouse droppings whatsoever. Thus, I am not expecting to have to dispose of another dead mouse in the morning. We'll see.

I am driving over to Hull tomorrow to see my beloved Hull City play the London club Millwall in the English Championship. Up The Tigers!

23 comments:

  1. I had shingles between my eyes, on my forehead but I started on an anti-viral right away and it didn't progress. Hurt like hell though and even though it was ten years ago, my forehead still itches sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Bert. I've heard that shingles are very painful.

    You were probably wise to avoid baby Margot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a remote possibility of infection but I did not want to risk it.

      Delete
  3. I had the latest shingles vaccinations early last year at a cost of nearly $600. A few months later it became subsidised and it would have only cost me $60. Shingles caused blindness in one of R's mother's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hell! I did not know that could happen!

      Delete
  4. Shingles are very uncomfortable. Dad had them several times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the shingles jab having seen someone with it, its very painful, poor Bert, hope he's on the way to a full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will go to see him in another couple of weeks and then report back here.

      Delete
  6. I worry about shingles so had the vaccination early last year and was annoyed to read in yesterday's newspaper that a second dose should be given within six months of the first one and my doctor HADN'T TOLD ME!! So I missed that second shot and I guess I should ask if I need to now get two shots this year or should I just take my chances.
    I hope Bert is feeling much better by now and I am glad you avoided seeing Margot just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shingles is a deeply unpleasant condition. I've been vaccinated. However years ago I did have an attack which the doctor diagnosed immediately despite no outwardly visible signs and gave me the antidote medicine which fortunately worked. It has to be given very quickly though. Probably long before you could get an appointment these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Bert.
    We can't have the shingles vaccination until aged 70 so I have to wait, although I did have chicken pox as a child so perhaps I shall escape it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did the right thing twice that day: Visiting Bert, and not visiting baby Margot. Three months already! Time does fly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My father had shingles when they were on a road trip, my mother had to drive them home. When I turned 60 I had the vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know a few people who have had shingles and it is terribly painful. I also know someone who caught shingles a month after having the shingles vaccine which makes you wonder whether the vaccine is all that helpful or even triggers shingles! If you have had chickenpox, the shingles virus lies dormant inside you and can pop up, I suppose if your immunity is low. Best to avoid babies until they can cope with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't had the shingles vaccine either and you have reminded me that I really do have to do that.
    Poor Bert! As if his life wasn't difficult enough.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had the shingles jab last year. No bother at all, even though for health reasons I had to have the two-jab more expensive inert version rather than the usual one-jab live version. Or was that the pneumonia jab? Not sure now. I had them both around the same time. Get both. It's better than the disease. Ask about pneumonia if they don't offer it. I think the live jab makes you infectious with chicken pox for a week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My brother in law got shingles last year and it was so painful - not so much the rash but terrible nerve pain that he had for months and months. I have gotten the 2-part shingles shot and you should look into it too as shingles is awful. To quote Google, "Anyone who's had chickenpox may develop shingles. It isn't known what reactivates the virus."

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have vivid memories of my dad getting shingles when I was young and it was a good three or four months before he was back to normal. He was probably in his late 30's or early 40's at that time. Here they won't give you the vaccine until you have reached the age of 50, which I have finally done so I hope to get my vaccine at my checkup in a month.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We got our Shingles shots a year ago but are supposed to get a second and we have been delaying it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, poor Bert!! I hope your friend that all of us like hearing about now and then recovers fully and soon. You were so smart not to go see the babes. I remember when my mother had this disease. I did get the vaccination for prevention. I was sick for days after but I was not gonna take a chance of it affecting what sight I have left by landing in my eyes!! (Hey teacher, is "affecting" right or should it be" effecting")?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Affecting is correct.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've heard that shingles is very painful. Get that shot when you can! It's strange how it often seems to affect the face and eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits