8 November 2021

2009

Earlier this year, after browsing through computer photo files, I blogged about two years in my life: 2007 and 2008 Today it's the turn of 2009 - twelve years ago now. That was the year I fulfilled a long held dream - to visit Easter Island but more of that in tomorrow's blogpost.

The photo files remind me that in the middle of  that year, Shirley and I  visited Sussex on the south coast of England. We had three days at "The Dorset" - a public house in Lewes, near Brighton and then a week in an apartment in the charming seaside town of Rye. From there we strayed over into Kent, visiting Dungeness and Canterbury.

As I recall, it was a lovely holiday - exploring a part of England that was unfamiliar to us in nice August weather.  Looking back, I regret that we did not visit the comedian, Spike Milligan's grave in Winchelsea near Rye - simply because at the time I did not know he was buried there. These three images must suffice to represent that happy vacation:-
"The Ypres Castle Inn" in Rye

Deckchairs on the pebbly beach in Brighton - home to 
blogging celebrities Briony and Tom Cater and Cro Magnon

Fishermen's hut at Dungeness - I believe this was the very first image I 
submitted to the Geograph photo-mapping project in September of  2009

The 2009 photo files remind me that we visited Hong Kong at Eastertime. We were there for nine days and stayed in three different hotels - one was on Hong Kong Island, another on  the island of Lantau - The Silvermine Beach Hotel and the third in Kowloon. Look at what has happened to Hong Kong since 2009. I don't suppose they receive many western tourists nowadays. I am glad we went when we did.

There's a very long escalator on Hong Kong Island. It takes you up the hillside from the area known simply as "Central" to the Mid Levels. In fact it's twenty separate escalators all in a row. As we were going up we were stunned to see a new cafe/restaurant called "Yorkshire Pudding".  Of course, we had to pay it a visit and co-incidentally arrived as a  local newspaper reporter was interviewing the owners. It wasn't long before they roped me in too.

The place we stayed at in Kowloon was called "The Luxe Manor" and it described itself as "a boutique hotel".  It was a lovely establishment, spotlessly clean and decorated very idiosyncratically. I remember how friendly and helpful the staff were. They ordered a taxi to take us to the airport terminal and when it arrived I swear that half a dozen smiling members of staff stood in line on the pavement to wave us off. It is an image I will never forget. As they waved us away, we briefly felt like foreign dignitaries or rock stars.

Here are three images to represent our  happy holiday in Hong Kong:-

"Yorkshire Pudding" halfway up the escalator

On Hong Kong Island

Shirley near the top of "The Bank of China" skyscraper

Tomorrow, it's back to Easter Island.

27 comments:

  1. Not only is it Yorkshire Pudding but the Best of Britain. It's good to look back before memories get fuzzie. Oops ! Sorry! that'll never happen to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, it will never happen to me Blue!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous2:16 am

    Spike spent a lot of time in Australia. https://highriser.blogspot.com/2011/11/spike-in-studio.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On his gravestone the inscription reads, "I told you I was ill".

      Delete
    2. Anonymous7:13 am

      Yes, and if my mother was to have a headstone, I would put the same.

      Delete
  3. Two of my mum's sisters lived down near Rye so we visited there a few times. I love that town; it's so old. I looked up that hotel you mentioned in Kowloon, very interesting decorating style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rye is a special place. I am glad you also got to see it Nurse Lily.

      Delete
  4. You certainly did get out and about! Well, you still do, but less far away these days.
    Great pictures, as always. I like the deck chairs, that really is an iconic picture. The Yorkshire Pudding sign with the red cross looks as if it were a pharmacy or clinic. Were they selling mysterious Chinese medicine to unsuspecting tourists?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it was a food place with a western emphasis. After the interview I appeared in the Chinese newspaper that the reporter worked for.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed seeing your photos of Hong Kong, a place I have visited more than once. It was perhaps one of my favourite destinations, before the world changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you blogging about Hong Kong before COVID19 swept across the world.

      Delete
  6. I've never been to Hong Kong but I have been to many Hong Kong style eateries here in Sydney. It's probably the closest I'll get.
    I look forward to Easter Island

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For us we had problems in a couple of Hong Kong eateries as the menus were all in Chinese and the customers and staff were all Chinese and English was noteworthy because of its total absence.

      Delete
  7. My Uncle lived in Rye and we often visited, such a pretty place. Lewes was the place for Bonfire night when the kids were young, hopping on a train in Brighton and travelling the few miles to watch the parades.
    Glad you enjoyed your time in Sussex.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sussex isn't bad but of course it's not as good as Yorkshire. Sussex should consider that as a tourism slogan.

      Delete
  8. Rye - always makes me think of the two Ronnies: it'll be dry in Rye, it'll be cool in Goole, and in Lissingdown you'd better take an umbrella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never dull in Hull and Leeds is plagued with weeds. Folk like pork in York but in Reeth they prefer beef. Oh such merry japes!

      Delete
  9. Th picture of the hut is stunning, a truly great shot and all the better because it depicts the isolation and entropic decay of the place as much as the object. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind Mark. Dungeness looks like an empty void at first sight but it provides many interesting photo opportunities. Have you been there?

      Delete
  10. Excellent photos, as always YP.
    When you look back at all the places you've travelled to, do you ever stop to consider how much you've contributed to the problems the planet is in now? Did any of us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a good point Carol. Though I expect I will ride on a few planes in the future my air travel will be much reduced from now on.

      Delete
  11. I guess Easter Island has never been on my list simply because I've seen so many documentaries on it over the years. However, I would put Hong Kong on there though due to recent events, it probably won't be near the top anytime soon.

    Can't wait to read about Easter Island though in your next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will start to write that new post after writing this comment.

      Delete
  12. I agree with Mark the hut is stunning. It's a work of art. So is the photo of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking that picture, it was one of those rare times when I thought to myself, "Yeah - that's a really good one!"

      Delete
  13. I tried to comment earlier but a momentary wifi loss ate my comment. What I said was that you certainly have traveled far and wide and you've taken some beautiful pictures of your travels but my favorite picture here is the one of your wife. What a beauty she is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like that particular image of her. By the way, she handed in her notice today - 47 years as a nurse though I expect she will still be available for occasional support roles - smears and vaccinations etc. if the jobs fit in to her schedule.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits